Pages

Sunday 28 November 2010

Old College Projects, Dug Up...

 I managed to dig up some of my old college projects today. I thought i'd post up some of the ones i still liked on here...

Advertising
These were a set of ads for Butterkist Mcrowaveable Popcorn. I played on the popcorn at the movie idea, and created body copy and sub-headers as if they were reviews of a film. I placed them in situ in relevant places: a billboard near the cinema, a bus shelter in the town center and the back of a bus. As well at that i placed it into Empire magazine, a magazine for film reviews. I really liked this project and i think my ad's were very successful for it.

T-Shirt Design
We were given the brief to choose a current issue we were concerned about, and to create a set of t-shirts to highlight and illustrate that issue, and i chose the rising gas and electricity prices. I went out and dug up some rather shocking research statistics, and thought i would show those on a t-shirt. I also decided on using a more typographic solution to it. The shirts and illustrations themselves are not finished to their best, but i think the ideas are very good in them.

Packaging Design
If I remember rightly, the brief for this task was to create a name, branding and packaging design for a deli. For mine i chose to play on the natural, healthy idea that deli dining can have and i named my deli "Verdure" The definition of verdure is:
ver·dure  (vûrjr)n.
1. 
a. The lush greenness of flourishing vegetation.
b. Vigorous greenery.
2. A fresh or flourishing condition(taken from www.thefreedictionary.com)
So i used that to play on the fresh, green, natural idea, and took that idea and gave the identity a fresh, green, smooth natural looking colour and the typeface a nice smooth rounded feel.
For my packaging design i created an oil bottle label, a herb jar label, a soup cup label, a coffee cup label and a baguette sandwich package (originally designed and made by me.)
I decided to use the fact the ingredients were natural and fresh as the USP for this packaging and thusly, created packaging very simply from the close up ingredients of the product, looking as fresh as it can be, and applying the logo to them.
I think it was quite a successful project and looking at it now i still think it looks very nice.

Poster Design
The final piece I'm going to post up was for a brief to create a set of 5 posters for the Manchester Reporatory Theatre Group On Tour performing monologues from Talking Heads by Alan Bennett at the Lowry. I decided to use a rather collaged and fun look to create this, but to use actual photo's of the more important elements, such as the shoes and the cream cracker, to emphasise them. I think despite not being very cleanly finished these are quite nice and pretty successful and i enjoyed making them.

So yeah, old college projects, dug up.

No comments:

Post a Comment